University of Lagos is the first Nigeria according to 2023 Times Higher Education World University rankings.
Five African countries that make The Times Higher Education World University Rankings for the first time.
The African countries that enter 2023 World University rankings was Zambia, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Mauritius and Mozambique .
The Times Higher Education World University Rankings says the 2023 ranking include 1799 universities across 104 regions.
How African Countries rank?
Non of the African countries that make top 100 for the world.
The best African University according to the 2023 University World ranking was University of Cape Town in South Africa and it was on number 160 for the continent.
But their position this year pass that of last year which was 183.
- Stellenbosch University and University of the Witwatersrand for South Africa follow and it was within number 251 – 300.
- Followed by University of Cape Town for Ghana and it was within 251 – 400.
- For Nigeria; University of Ibadan, University of Lagos and University of KwaZulu-Natal follow by first 500 Universities in the world.
How they use assess them
The 2023 Times Higher Education World University Ranking was compare information alias data from 1,799 Universities across 104 kontris and regions.
This made them the largest and most diverse university rankings till now.
The areas they check on teaching, research, knowledge transfer and international Outlook.
This year ranking was check out more than 121 million citations, 15.5 million research publications plus including survey responses from 40,00 scholars all over the world.
Oxford University was still the top and the best University for the world for 7th time now.
Harvard University still remain for the second place but the University of Cambridge move from fifth position last year to third position this year.
The highest new entry was Italy Humanitas University and it’s rank was within 201 – 250 for the bracket.
What is the Higher Times Education University Ranking
Times Higher Education World University Rankings was every year publication of university rankings by Times Higher Education (THE) magazine. The publisher was join together with Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) to publish the joint THE-QS World University Rankings from 2004 to 2009 before turn to Thomson Reuters for new ranking system from 2010–2013.
The publication now make the world overall, subject and reputation rankings, along with three regional league tables wey be Asia, Latin America, and BRICS & Emerging Economies that they are generate from different weightings.
The US was the most represented countries overall with 177 institutions and also the most represented for the top 200 with 58 institutions.
The Rankings considered one of the most widely observed university rankings together with Academic Ranking of World Universities and QS World University Rankings.
The top 10 universities in the world
- University of Oxford, United Kingdom
- Harvard University, United States
- University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
- Stanford University, United States
- Massachusetts institute of technology, United States
- California institute Technology, United States
- Princeton University, United States
- University of California Berkeley, United States
- Yale University, United States
- Imperial College, London